Super soil is a term used to describe a recipe popularized by the famous marijuana grower SubCool released for creating soil that would not require you to manage pH levels or add nutrients. The super soil has given marijuana growers around the world a whole new level of power, giving them the highest quality crops through the help of the magic soil recipe.
A Living Soil
Growers find that crops grown with this soil taste and smell better and also seem to be smoother. It’s a living soil that mimics the way soil would act in the wild, allowing plants to grow strong and robust. There’s a lot less work required during the growing stage and extra nutrient supplements aren’t needed which saves extra time and money.
The Soil-Making Process
Making the soil is a bit time consuming and expensive and probably best done for larger crop sizes. Mixing can be a little exhausting and it will take 30 to 60 days before your soil is ready for use. However the results are so superb that it is very much worth the effort if you are really passionate about growing large healthy crops.
Super Soil Recipe
Here is a super soil recipe that’s easy to use and apply. The key lies in getting the mixture thoroughly mixed and sealed in an airtight container in the sun.
6 bags x 10-gallon Roots Organic Soil (For a total of 60 gallons or 210lbs of soil)
- 2 bags x 50L (35 lbs) Biobizz Light-Mix soil (Total of 70lbs)
- 2 bags x 30 lbs Organic Earthworm Castings (Total of 60lbs)
- 1 box 6 lbs Fish Bone Meal (3-16-0) Note: 3-15-0 or 3-18-0 can also be used
- 1 cup Dolomite Lime (“prilled” if possible)
- ½ cup Azomite (0-0-0.2)
- 1 box 5 lbs Blood Meal (12-0-0)
- 1 bag 4 lbs Happy Frog Bat Guano (0-5-0)
- ¾ cup Epsom Salt
- (Optional) Up to 25% Perlite (for extra drainage)
- You can add live earthworms to the mix as an added bonus to keep your mixture loose. They will help to keep your soil healthy.
- Put your ingredients in a large clear bin
- Mix it up for at least 5 minutes
- Put the lid on the bin and leave it in the sunlight
- Make sure the lid is properly sealed
- Open and stir up the mixture again throughout the first week, it should be moist and will likely feel warm or hot
- Add clean water as needed to keep it moist and cooking
- Keep the mixture in the sun for 30 to 60 days
- Mix again before you start growing
- Don’t grow with distilled water. The ideal water pH is between 6-7. Anything outside this can be problematic to your soil
Of course, this is just one recipe. Many growers like to customize or put their own spin on reliable recipes like the one pioneered by SubCool. The process for creating your own super soil can be quite time consuming but you can also purchase readymade super soil, which can save you the 2 month wait and allow you to jump right in to growing your crop.